Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Using Skype for company conference calls | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Using Skype for company conference calls
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
April 28, 2014
10:21 pm
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 38
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

As companies try to cut back on costs, more and more companies are opting to use Skype to conduct their conference calls. Many a times during telephonic interviews, the organistaion would request to have a video conference call through Skype. This enables various participants to listen and participate in the call, with the added advantage of being able to interact with one another through the live video calling option.

For me personally, I think using Skype is a cost saving alternative for an organisation, but the main disadvantage I have personally experienced is that there are times where the call quality is terrible and you’re left unable to hear one another!

Has anybody else used Skype for their business calls? What were your experiences?

The following users say thank you to FastEfficient for this useful post:

Costin
April 30, 2014
4:29 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

The company I work for uses Skype too, since it`s cheaper and friendlier than other alternatives, but as you pointed, sometimes the quality of the service makes you turn around. Luckily, Skype has been constantly updated and I believe the trend will be continued, so less bugs will make communication difficult

When it comes from conversations between colleagues, we usually use Hangouts, since everybody has an Android-based gadget and it`s easier like this to communicate

The following users say thank you to Costin for this useful post:

FastEfficient
April 30, 2014
9:23 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 398

Used it about an hour ago for a conf call between two offices here and AU office .. worked a treat MS have done a decent job with skype so far

The following users say thank you to Krisstoffer for this useful post:

FastEfficient

http://www.joolo.net - better than this hole for mobile devices.

May 1, 2014
3:26 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

You can imply Skype for conferences for more than 1h, it behaves decently, only few visual disruptions due to the internet connection or the standby mode of the computer

For the moment, Skype hasn`t disappoint me and my colleaguesSmile

May 2, 2014
4:14 am
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members

Costin said
The company I work for uses Skype too, since it`s cheaper and friendlier than other alternatives, but as you pointed, sometimes the quality of the service makes you turn around. Luckily, Skype has been constantly updated and I believe the trend will be continued, so less bugs will make communication difficult

When it comes from conversations between colleagues, we usually use Hangouts, since everybody has an Android-based gadget and it`s easier like this to communicate

Thanks for your input Costin. Smile

It would be good to be able to rely entirely on Skype in the future! Perhaps I should keep an eye out for the latest Skype updates as newer versions are introduced.

In the past we used to use MSN to communicate between colleagues at work, but I think Hangouts is becoming the norm now for the convenience, ease of use and compatibility that it offers.

May 2, 2014
6:41 am
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members

Krisstoffer said
Used it about an hour ago for a conf call between two offices here and AU office .. worked a treat MS have done a decent job with skype so far

I’m glad to hear it worked so well for you! Smile
I think it also depends on the internet speed and other factors, which could hinder the call quality.
May 2, 2014
1:41 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Costin said The company I work for uses Skype too, since it`s cheaper and friendlier than other alternatives, but as you pointed, sometimes the quality of the service makes you turn around. Luckily, Skype has been constantly updated and I believe the trend will be continued, so less bugs will make communication difficult When it comes from conversations between colleagues, we usually use Hangouts, since everybody has an Android-based gadget and it`s easier like this to communicate

Thanks for your input Costin. Smile It would be good to be able to rely entirely on Skype in the future! Perhaps I should keep an eye out for the latest Skype updates as newer versions are introduced. In the past we used to use MSN to communicate between colleagues at work, but I think Hangouts is becoming the norm now for the convenience, ease of use and compatibility that it offers.    

Well, some updates were headaches, but if you install it on your Android smartphone or tablet, you can easily uninstall the latest update. Ironically, if you have both Skype and Hangouts on the same gadget, you will know what to use first, it happens all the time to me:)

Hangouts is OK for the moment, luckily Google improved its uploading feature, that irritated me in the first weeks from Gtalk transition to Hangouts

The following users say thank you to Costin for this useful post:

FastEfficient
May 27, 2014
9:33 pm
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members

I’ve also started using Google Hangout more in recent days. Do you think that Google Hangout will be able to eventually replace Skype within organisations that currently use Skype for conference calls?

June 2, 2014
7:16 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Costin said

Costin said The company I work for uses Skype too, since it`s cheaper and friendlier than other alternatives, but as you pointed, sometimes the quality of the service makes you turn around. Luckily, Skype has been constantly updated and I believe the trend will be continued, so less bugs will make communication difficult When it comes from conversations between colleagues, we usually use Hangouts, since everybody has an Android-based gadget and it`s easier like this to communicate

Thanks for your input Costin. Smile It would be good to be able to rely entirely on Skype in the future! Perhaps I should keep an eye out for the latest Skype updates as newer versions are introduced. In the past we used to use MSN to communicate between colleagues at work, but I think Hangouts is becoming the norm now for the convenience, ease of use and compatibility that it offers.    

Well, some updates were headaches, but if you install it on your Android smartphone or tablet, you can easily uninstall the latest update. Ironically, if you have both Skype and Hangouts on the same gadget, you will know what to use first, it happens all the time to me:)

Hangouts is OK for the moment, luckily Google improved its uploading feature, that irritated me in the first weeks from Gtalk transition to Hangouts

Now I`m quite angry with Hangouts. For one week, there is something wrong with the video feature, either it disconnects in the middle of a conversation, either I have no sound and so does my interlocutor. A natural fact about nowadays apps, some bugs on the horizon, but honestly isn`t possible for such an impressive company as Google to handle this issue through an update?

I returned for the moment to Skype and use for messages and voice calls Viber

June 2, 2014
7:12 pm
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Costin said

Costin said

Now I`m quite angry with Hangouts. For one week, there is something wrong with the video feature, either it disconnects in the middle of a conversation, either I have no sound and so does my interlocutor. A natural fact about nowadays apps, some bugs on the horizon, but honestly isn`t possible for such an impressive company as Google to handle this issue through an update?

I returned for the moment to Skype and use for messages and voice calls Viber

That’s a shame. It’s really inconvenient and annoying when you’re using something that later becomes unreliable. Frown

At least you were able to fall back on to Skype for the time being. I haven’t used Hangouts recently, but it would be interesting to see if it’s a problem across the board.

June 9, 2014
2:08 am
yushi
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 26
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nearly 80% of my company communication is depends on Skype. Usually communication between branches and headquarters, and also between branches. Definitely a cost saving method as we cut down the communication by half compared to last time.

June 11, 2014
8:15 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

yushi said
Nearly 80% of my company communication is depends on Skype. Usually communication between branches and headquarters, and also between branches. Definitely a cost saving method as we cut down the communication by half compared to last time.

My company is smaller, but still Skype is a reliable communication tool mostly through its video feature. For messages and voice calls, we mostly use the benefits included in our postpaid plans

September 12, 2014
7:46 am
Villa
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 23
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

best for conference calls. i am using skype from 2012 & feel better than other any system. anytime from anyway i can talk anyone using skype on my phone or laptop. really i like the app

September 30, 2014
2:36 am
shere1895
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 85
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

skype is boss. Bussiness plan is so cheap. In freelancing market every client wants skype id. It’s a great communication apps. No doubt to use it. Secure conferencing and so safe.

May 3, 2015
10:43 pm
Cellnut
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 192
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use Skype extensively in my current conferencing in business and personal. I’ve tried to use Google Hangouts to some extent but it’s just not as widely used with those that I work with and so it’s simpler to use what we’re used to instead of moving over to that platform. The only thing that I dislike about Skype is that sending files can sometimes have random snail pace transfer rates.

January 10, 2017
4:38 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lately, I have seen Skype used in news, so the service tends to expand its use in other areas

For the moment, it`s one of the most stable voice and message services, so it`s likely to preserve its position in the next period. If Microsoft implements some discounts, the better

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019