Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Is travelling to a different without a cellphone a bad idea? | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Is travelling to a different without a cellphone a bad idea?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
March 12, 2015
2:29 am
lludawg
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 38
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I am someone who always needs my cellphone with me when I travel because you never know what can happen. However, my parents don’t think they need one. What would you suggest? Are cellphones necessary when travelling abroad? 

March 16, 2015
5:16 pm
Cellnut
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 192

It’s definitely a bad idea to not travel with one. Anything at all could happen, you could be in an accident or some other catastrophic or traumatic experience could occur and you may need to call someone locally in the country that you’re in, or abroad to your family in order to help you. Without your own cell phone you’d be at the limitations of whatever means of communication that you had in the country and whatever expenses go along with it as well. I’d highly recommend having your own cell phone wherever you travel to, or at minimum one person in your travel party having one.

March 17, 2015
7:21 am
jangwl
Silver
Members

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 121

It is indeed a bad idea especially if you need it to call someone on emergency. You can use it to call someone in the local country when you have landed. Get a local sim card and you get to save lots of money using it.

Best Regards

Richard

http://www.richardjang.com

March 23, 2015
6:29 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

It is indeed a bad idea especially if you need it to call someone on emergency. You can use it to call someone in the local country when you have landed. Get a local sim card and you get to save lots of money using it.

This is what I recommend too

From my experience (and I lot to travel a lot), it`s cheaper to use a local SIM card, than to use your current subscription on roaming

Naturally, there are exceptions, as in Europe, when a major provider as Orange or Vodafone covers multiple countries and offers discounts, if you use your national subscription on roaming, wherever you go

March 24, 2015
8:19 am
jangwl
Silver
Members

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 121

I agreed that service providers may give very attractive package for certain countries for roaming. They may be long term partners serving each country service provider customers. Nowadays data are very important and many will get one plan before leaving their home country.

Best Regards

Richard

http://www.richardjang.com

April 1, 2015
12:45 pm
Vincom
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 50

Yes, it’s really important to keep your cellphone together when travelling. If you don’t want your parents ask where was you, you still need map, compass, and even googling something right ?

April 17, 2015
6:25 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

I agreed that service providers may give very attractive package for certain countries for roaming. They may be long term partners serving each country service provider customers. Nowadays data are very important and many will get one plan before leaving their home country.

It depends, sometimes you can find locally offers that are cheaper than your national subscription. For example, when I traveled to France, the roaming service with international minutes and messages included cost me about 10 euro, while getting to subway in Paris I found a local offer with a prepaid service offering the same number of international minutes and messages for just 7 euro

If you get informed before leaving your country, you are likely to choose the best solutionWink

March 15, 2017
10:56 am
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 148

lludawg said
I am someone who always needs my cellphone with me when I travel because you never know what can happen. However, my parents don’t think they need one. What would you suggest? Are cellphones necessary when travelling abroad?   

This is an interesting question, even if it’s a couple of years old.   ; )

Cell phones have only recently been “everywhere.”

Up until 20 years ago – the 1980s – people got along without cellphones just fine!

Now people think that they’d be lost without one!

But you can always ask questions of…you know….real people! when you’re traveling!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019