Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Google Drive Review | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Google Drive Review
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
March 30, 2014
3:08 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 398
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Google Drive happens to be the first application I have opted to cover on Joolo as well as being the first application covered in any way at all on the site and for good reason, its built by the pioneers that put together Android itself, a massive company with its roots firmly embedded in the technology Google Drive as an application should offer. That being said let’s get into the review and of course remember to check the bottom of this page for the final score (out of 10) as well as the option to give your own scores.

http://www.joolo.net - better than this hole for mobile devices.

March 30, 2014
3:08 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member

Installing & Setup

The install process itself was simple, straight forward and literally faultless, searching for ‘drive’ on the Google Play store brought up the application I was looking for as the top returned result, not quite unexpected as Google didn’t make their name in the search industry for being able to bake cakes now did they.

After the Pull down from Google Play the usual process of application installing went with out a hitch and then opening the application for the first time presented me with a nice, well-ordered welcoming screen. The welcoming screen servers two purposes one it allows the application to set up silently in the background if it’s able too and two it’s supposed to give you a brief look at how to use the application i.e this is where the vendor drills home the basic fundamentals of the application itself and to Google’s eternal credit they managed that if I was to find one fault it would be the screen with the baby, the baby was indeed cute and the images told me a lot but I think a cool graphic here of a file moving between types of devices would have really blown me away..I’m picky in that regard

March 30, 2014
3:09 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member

Design

Now that we have the device installed it’s time to look at the design, like all Google’s applications it has the office modern clean feel and in a nutshell what could you really complain about, it’s styling, it’s sleep and it’s more importantly clean if anything perhaps a few more views could have been included. That’s not to say it’s faultless the Google Cloud Print screen was like looking at a blast from the past with its big crude cancel button down top the list of devices just not looking quite right.. I did not like this screen and yet I did not take a screenshot of it!

If I wanted to be cynical their was some views that just did not feel right on my phones smaller screen in portrait mode the info icon which can be accessed by a long click on an item or by entering the item itself seemed to be taking up needless real estate in the portrait view but looked just fine in landscape. Google can and will no doubt aim to improve on the overall design of Google Drive and perhaps dumb it down a touch for the everyday person but overall it’s one of the easiest on the eye applications for Android to date.

March 30, 2014
3:10 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member

Usage, Flexibility, Reliability

The first two items I would like to discuss from the title are flexibility and reliability so after taking my screenshots I needed a way to get them back to my laptop to get them up to this page and well I don’t have a USB port, my bluetooth on my Mac and Phone do not get along with one another so Google Drive was the first obvious thought.. it was not the first application I intended to review but due to it saving my brain too much hard work .. it gets the honour of becoming and forever being known as the first, numero uno!

Keeping it simple, it did exactly what I wanted it to do, at a speed that worked for me, I wanted an entire folder onto my Google Drive synced in a flash.. so I headed over the Gallery, long pressed on my folder to select the entire thing, hit the share button hit the Google Drive button done.. everything is now syncing..perfect .. well almost

If your anything like me and I really hope your own sake you are not but if you are you struggle with the need to put things into specific places, everything has its own folder, files should be neat etc.. The one click share option did exactly what I wanted it to do in the sense that I would have been happy for another screen in the process to ask me where exactly i.e create a new folder however that’s not what happened instead I ended up with some 25 files dumped into the root of my Google Drive which then echoed on my laptop.. my need to sort and order went into overdrive and well the rest is history.

This will not be an issue for most, if anyone else on the planet but for me it is and it’s something I would have not liked to have had to waste my time on.. even if it was only an extra 2-3 minutes tops but outside of that the App was amazing, it did exactly what I wanted it to do in all the right places and the click and option present may actually be a fault of android itself and not Google Drive.

So now to put all the numbers into the system and see what comes out but anyone looking for a simple cloud solution with enough power to kick the snot out of the competitions cloud too – Google Drive may be just what you are looking for.

March 30, 2014
8:39 pm
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 421

downloaded google drive already.  still learning but finds it too complicated for me. anyways, will get used to it soon…

March 30, 2014
11:51 pm
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member

d complex may i ask, I can probably guide you n the right direction.

April 24, 2014
7:36 pm
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 54

I find the google series of apps really great to use, they are pretty much really straight forward however the features can be a little basic, which I think they do on purpose to try and get people to use them. 

Google Drive has been an essential part of my life since college, I did all my college work on google drive, so I could do my work at home, college, on my mobile. Its just so useful to keep everything in google drive and is incredibly easy to access wherever you are

April 25, 2014
2:35 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

Ste Crook said
I find the google series of apps really great to use, they are pretty much really straight forward however the features can be a little basic, which I think they do on purpose to try and get people to use them. 

Google Drive has been an essential part of my life since college, I did all my college work on google drive, so I could do my work at home, college, on my mobile. Its just so useful to keep everything in google drive and is incredibly easy to access wherever you are

Welcome in the club, you are on GoogleDrive, you exist!:)

Leaving behind the joke, GoogleDrive is one of the easiest tool to imply these days for work and fun. I tried rival solutions, but always I come back to Google`s concept

April 28, 2014
9:01 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member

Ste Crook said

also take a look at dropbox .. not quite as friendly but 100% smarter by comparison to the others in terms of how it works.

September 19, 2014
12:26 pm
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 421
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

google drive for me is genius! dropbox on the otherhand is complicated and not so user-friendly.

September 30, 2014
3:17 am
shere1895
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 85
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use google drive. But I also use dropbox and it’s comfortable to use but now it take charge for new user. On the other hand google drive always free with 25 gb storage capability.

October 24, 2014
12:57 am
radoaneee
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 20
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

i use google drive.

it provides 25 GB of storage space capacity…Cool

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255